Monday, August 9, 2010

SAISA & WWW

March 6, 2010:

Well, the soccer season is over. In this SAISA tournament we went to New Delhi. I felt nostalgic as we got off the plane due to the fact that I had lived here for five years. I spent my 3rd grade to my 7th grade in the American Embassy School where the SAISA tournament was held. We played a lot of great matches, but in the end we got 7th place out of eight teams. However, we still had a great time and we won the sportsmanship award. As a result of my time playing soccer, I’ve improved my physique (slightly) and I improved in both my soccer skills & my leadership skills by observing how some of my other teammates took charge of the game. This was my first time in participating in the SAISA tournament, though not the first in a sports tournament. In my previous school in American Community School, I played for my school team twice; once in 9th grade for the Junior Varsity team and second in my 10th grade for the Varsity team. I am proud that I've been able to remain commited to the sport over the years of playing. As I look back on all the tournaments that I’ve been on, I think this one is where I developed more useful skills since I was thinking about how it would affect my CAS.















“The Crucible” practices have been going well in my mind and soon I’ll have all my lines memorized for the April plays. I still also have to work with others in order to make sure that my positining in the play is correct. As a result, I have to stay after school for some sessions where different people in the play and I work together to re-create the actual play on stage. This gives us the opportunity to feel how it will be on stage during April and how we'll need to stand or move around on stage.

This semester, Week Without Walls occurred in February. The 11th grade went down to Hambantota where we assisted a couple of schools with painting. We were separated into 2 groups where Thishakya and I were appointed leaders of one group. It was our job to assign people different jobs and to assign them the room in which they would be staying. However, an ethical problem arose where Thishakya and I would only assign people to tasks and we ourselves wouldn't participate at all. I believe that we solved this by making sure we kept ourselves busy with any task which anyone needed help in. It was a very interesting trip and I developed better management & organizational skills because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment